The End Has Come . . . (For Now)

It's my last day of work. I've been here almost 11 months and spent over 5 of those at sea. I've had a fantastic time. I've learned a lot about a lot of things. I now know most of the fish species found in the Falklands and a lot of the invertebrates too. My Spanish has improved a lot. I've seen commercial fishing first hand which was my main reason for being here. It's been a great year - hard work but rewarding.

I'm off on holiday on tuesday, landing in the UK on wednesday so if anyone wants to meet up when I'm home just email or call me. I really need my holiday. I haven't had any real time off since I started and I'm starting to feel it!

My plans for next year are a bit up in the air at the moment. I'm hoping to come back and do another year but saw my dream job become available a while ago so I've applied and am waiting to hear how I did. Wish me luck!

I've had such a good time in the Falklands. Like anywhere it has its faults but it's a beautiful country and the people are really friendly. I've made some really good friends and I'm feeling quite sad at the thought of going, even though I'll most likely be back. It's strange leaving a place not knowing if you'll be back or not - you don't want to say goodbye in case you jinx things and end up coming back, but equally you need to say goodbye so that if you don't come back you don't feel like you've left without saying anything.

I feel like I'm waffling quite a bit. I'm sorry! I'm just in a funny mood right now. But an afternoon of work beckons so I'll stop now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics