A Difficult Decision

I’m leaving the Falklands and I’m going home.


Since Dave died I haven’t been enjoying my work as much as I once did. Going to sea for weeks at a time is a fantastic experience when you are happy but when you are sad or grieving it can become a nightmare, trapped and alone with nothing but your own thoughts for company. I had problems on my first boat back, finding myself crying at nothing and unable to motivate myself. Just wanting to go home. I had the same problems on my second boat and came to the realisation that this wasn’t healthy.


Looking through my diary I realised I had been unhappy all year and had said in almost every entry that I wanted, I needed, to be with my family. I couldn’t deal with the grief alone. So, a week or so ago I decided that enough was enough and gave my resignation to my boss. He’s been incredibly understanding for which I’m very grateful, and I can happily report that I’ll be home at the beginning of June.


I’ve felt much better since making the decision. I can’t say happier and I’m feeling a bit nervous the closer it comes to leaving. I do love the Falklands and the friends I’ve made here and will miss it terribly, but I know I’m making the right decision. I’ve been in a kind of limbo here, unable to deal properly but unable to forget. I need to be around people who knew Dave and go to places where we went together and remember him and be able to grieve properly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics