Life on Land

I’ve been back on land for quite a while and there are plans afoot to get me back to sea soon. In the meantime I thought it might be interesting to do a fish-free post (well, interesting from your point of view!) and instead tell you a bit about what I’ve been up to since I got back. . .

We got back to land on Saturday 12th April. In the evening Jude and I took some of the guys from the boat out for drinks and we had a great time. I can’t remember what time I eventually went to bed but it was well past midnight! I had a few days off then went back to work. I had a small post-trip party with Jude, her husband and my housemates where I cooked a three-course Indian meal (including home-made naan bread!). I was really busy at work writing my report and the weekend couldn’t come soon enough.

I was in need of a quiet weekend. I tidied up the greenhouse, getting rid of the plants which had mostly gone over then varnished the bench so it once again looks owned. Monday was a bank holiday (the Queen’s birthday) and I didn’t do much. There was a parade on Victory Green but I forgot about it until I heard three planes fly overhead as part of a fly-pass.

I was back to work on Tuesday and finished off my report. Then I began work on other projects which took up the rest of the week. The weekend began with a group of us from work going to a local pub which had started serving cocktails. Silje (a housemate/observer) and I played pool then we all headed to Deano’s, the local ‘night-club’. We ended up going to someone’s party and we didn’t get home ‘til late. We had a very quiet Saturday, watching DVDs and being slightly hung-over!

Last week was a lot quieter at work as I had got most of what I needed to do done. I was really looking forward to the weekend as Lars (another housemate/observer) was due back and I hadn’t seen him since January. We had a ‘girly night’ on Friday (our last man-free night), watching ‘Sex and the City’ while Silje put highlights in my hair. Then we went to the Vic and played pool. I won, as I had done the previous weekend and now I have an unbeaten record of 5 games which I’ve never had before!

On Saturday I went to a friend’s for dinner then came home and caught up with Lars. He went to bed just as Silje came in with some friends. They were heading to the Trough and I went with them. We had a really good time and came home late again! On sunday Silje, Lars and I went to Vlad's house (a colleague) who was doing a quiz. It was really good fun and very difficult but somehow I won and we walked home with a bottle of champagne!

And that’s about it. On Monday we were told to get our stuff prepared for going to sea so I’ve spent the last couple of days getting my equipment ready while helping out in the lab. Tonight I’m going to try my hand at felting. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics