First Week Back (1/7/08)

I've been back almost a week and it's been lovely. The weather has been glorious although it started raining a couple of hours ago but at least it means i don't have to water the plants tonight! (Mum and I went to the garden centre on sunday and got new plants for the tubs - we have pelargoniums, busy lizzies and sweetpeas in the three main tubs . . .


and a strawberry plant, chives and two tomato plants which were going cheap.

I had an eye exam yesterday which isn't normally interesting news but they took photos of the inside of my eye and gave me a copy.


It's pretty cool - I thought it looked a bit like a nebula! Apparently this is a healthy eye which is good to know! The bright spot is where i was focusing.

There's not really much else to tell. . . Oh, I got an interview for the job I applied for so I'm off to Cambridge on the 15th. . . Um . . . I'm going Saul for a narrowboat festival at the weekend weather permitting. I shall be spending the weekend (hopefully) wandering along the canal path watching, identifiying and photographing insects, birds and plants with Bea as company.

I think that's about it. I'm learning how to relax again which is really nice! I went into Bristol on friday and ended up buying six books, in adition to the one I bought at the supermarket the night before. I'm half way through the supermarket one and have begun to read one of the others. In case you're interested the supermarket book is 'An Utterly Impartial History of Britain' by John O'Farrell which I'm really enjoying though sometimes the jokes are a bit too thick and fast for my liking. The others are 'Queueing For Beginners' by Joe Moran (the one I've started reading - very good too); 'The State of Africa' by Martin Meredith; 'Byzantium' by Judith Herrin, 'Fixing Climate' by Robert Kunzig and Wallace Broecker and 'The Stuff of Thought' by Steven Pinker. The sixth book was a Asian cookery book which I'm slowly working my way though. Just a bit of light reading for the summer!


Well for a supposedly fairly laid back first week I've written quite a lot so I' d better stop now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics