Science Stuff

I know that the revitalised blog has been heavy on the politics and light on the science and pretty pictures that characterised its previous incarnation. I'm still writing about science, it's just that it's being published on my department's blog, EcoEvo@TCD. It's one of the reasons this blog has lain dormant for so long as my desire to write had been largely satiated by posting there.

I'll try and remember to link to my posts there when they come up, but in the meantime here's links to the posts from this year. I'll post older ones at a later date when I'm feeling self-indulgent. Hopefully one or two will be of interest.

Killing in the Name of Science (Part 1): The Science of Scientific Whaling
The one where I dissect (pardon the pun) a paper on scientific whaling and [spoiler alert] show it to have nothing of scientific merit.

Killing in the Name of Science (Part 2): What About the Bunnies?
 The one where I look at the legislation covering animal use in the lab and examine our hypocrisy when it comes to which animals we care about and which ones we don't.

Killing in the Name of Science (Part 3): Dying for Conservation
The one where I look at a spate of news articles where conservation programs resulted in the intentional death of animals.

Science and Journalism
The one where I try and get us to engage and improve scientific journalism.

Kapapo, Kereru and Kaka, Oh My!
The one where I reminisce about some of the amazing birds I saw and studied in New Zealand.

A Rose by Any Other Name
The one where I complain about the difficulties of naming things scientifically. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics