Flying to L.A.

I went to L.A. for ten days to visit Sarah and to go to Mary’s wedding. I had a fantastic time, saw some of the sights and did far too much shopping! I flew with Air New Zealand which was weird but good. It was strange seeing the ‘Welcome to Auckland’ film which brought back loads of memories and made me quite homesick.

We flew via Greenland and Arctic Canada. It was amazing seeing the icefields, glaciers and icebergs. Much of Canada was brown rather than white. I’m hoping that that was a normal view for this time of year – I’m pretty sure that Hudson Bay melts in summer. It was striking all the same.

As it was summer it was daylight all the way and I had a window seat so sleeping was difficult! I really wanted to see Hudson Bay but it was taking ages to reach it and I finally decided to try and close my eyes. When I awoke we were over the mid-west!

We flew over the Hoover Dam and near the Grand Canyon. The landscape was amazing. The rocks were different colours and there were canyons and valleys all over the place.


The closer we got to L.A. the more populated it became. Suddenly we were flying over L.A. and it became completely urbanised with no natural colours at all.

We landed a bit early but immigration took forever (don’t you just love being made to feel like a criminal just for wanting to visit some friends?!). Once I’d been approved and got my luggage I headed out and met Sarah for the first time in over a year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics