My First Week (and a bit!)

It’s hard to believe I’ve only been here a week. I feel like I’ve been here forever, though luckily everything is still new and interesting. Work has been interesting – I’ve been learning how to sex and age squid, how to use the database, and how to cut otoliths. I feel about as ready as I’ll ever be to go on board and start observing.

There’s not much interesting to tell. I’m at work from 8am to 4.30pm and it’s pretty dark by the time I get home. The short days are making me more tired than I feel I should be, as are the early mornings (I’m not used to them!). Luckily, work hasn’t been too arduous yet and by the time I have things to do I should be more used to the early starts! And when you get presented with sunrises like this it isn’t too hard to get motivated!


On Sunday I went to Fitzroy and saw some of the war memorials. There was one to the Welsh Guardsmen who died and another to those on the Sir Galahad.


The memorials seemed so small against the landscape.


Both memorials had at least a dozen names on them and it was strange to think that so many people died for a couple of islands with hardly any people on it. But I think it was worth it. The islands have changed so much since the war and from everything I’ve heard it’s been for the better.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Fantastic sunrise. If anyone come out to you I take it they have to bring some PG Tips.
MUM

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics