Terra Firma

We have had a good couple of weeks and have filled the freezers which means we’ve had to come to land to unload. We’re off again later today (Wednesday) and I’m really looking forward to going out again. It feels very strange to be on land, stable, unmoving, land.

Coming in to land was really fun. When we left FIPASS (Falkland Islands Port and Storage Services) initially it was the early hours of the morning and I was asleep. We came in early yesterday morning and came in sight of land just after dawn. The weather was gorgeous although it was very cold. It was very nice to see Stanley, and coming in through The Narrows to see the town appear was really cool.

Another ship was unloading so we had to wait in Stanley harbour for a few hours. It was quite annoying being so near to land and yet so far. Even if I had the strength to swim to shore I would’nt have tried it as the water was under 4 degrees C!

Luckily I was offered the opportunity to come to shore by launch so I got picked up and was able to get to land a couple of hours before the ship. Actually, FIPASS isn’t shore but a set of barges. Our offices are the two-storey set of portacabins you can see on the far left. Fortunately they’re warmer than they look which is good because the wind can really blow across the harbour.

Well, this is the last post for a while. I hope you’ve enjoyed reading what I’ve written so far and liked the photos, and I’ll try and write more when I’m next on land.

Comments

Anonymous said…
To day is the Tuesday after the August bank holiday, I am hoping to get and see Joy & Ron. Over the weekend Joy came into my mind and when I got back home Joy had left a message asking after you. For anyone else who thinks of printing this lot out its 28 pages to this point.
I have put this comment in so that I know were I printed too.
Love
MUM

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics