Last Week in the Falklands

My last week in the Falklands felt quite surreal. I couldn’t believe I was leaving. It had become home and I had made a lot of good friends. It was a busy week, finishing off work and saying goodbye to people and places.

On Friday we had a party. It was great fun although at 11.30pm taxis started arriving with people from town. Luckily I wasn’t drinking so had the idea of calling the taxis and telling them that it was a private party so they stopped turning off. The last people eventually left around 2am and I began the clearing up. I’ve never seen so many bottles and cans in the house and I’ve seen a few parties!

On Saturday morning I got up early and finished packing. I had some breakfast and chatted with Gemma and Pablo while we waited for the bus to arrive. We picked up half a dozen people and three of them were friends who’d been at the party. It made me realise what a special place the Falklands as – where else could you know so many people so easily?

I had an amazing time in the Falklands. It’s a unique place. It has problems, but where doesn’t? I had an amazing job. There were times when I couldn’t believe I was being paid to do the work – when I was standing on deck with blue sky and sea all around and black-browed albatross flying all around. I’ll never forget the experience.

I learned so much. I’ve seen the insides of more fish than I ever thought possible! I’ve learned to identify about a hundred fish, a dozen or so rays and countless invertebrates. I’ve written two papers and helped collect data for several others. Outside of work, I’ve learned (the hard way, unfortunately) that while having a rewarding job is important, there are more important in life than work. That lesson was the hardest to learn, but I’m glad I learned it. I’ve been home for just over a month and I’m happier than I have been all year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics