Santiago

The next day I flew from Cusco to Santiago where I spent the next few days. I didn't do much as I was short of cash and Chilean cash machines didn't accept foreign cards. I stayed in the city and while it was nice, I didn't get an overwhelming urge to return. It's a city, like any other. The metro was excellent - clean, efficient, cheap. But apart from that the city didn't really endear itself to me. The food was too reminiscent of boat food - fried fish or meat and chips or rice - to really appeal to me, and I had trouble filling my days.

There was a highlight, however. I decided to go the cinema. I'd been told that hollywood films will often be released with subtitles first and only later dubbed, so I had a look online and found a cinema close by and went and saw 'Star Trek'.

It was loads of fun! I loved the film (very funny and great effects) and just being at a proper cinema eating popcorn felt so good. I couldn't remember the last time I''d been to a proper cinema (MPA doesn't count!) and it felt good to be able to do something normal but until then unavailable to me. It made me really look forward to getting home.

I had a great holiday. It cost a lot but it was worth it. I'd seen all kinds of wildlife I'd only ever seen on TV, and best of all I got to touch a tapir! I'm going to improve my photographic skills then head back for round two.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics