Rainforest - Day Six

The morning of the last day arrived. I’d arranged with Marlene to go back to the canopy platform to see dawn so I had yet another ridiculously early morning. As we walked up the stairs it got lighter and lighter. It really made you realise how much light is blocked by the trees – on the forest floor we needed torches yet just 10 metres up they were superfluous. It’d difficult to take photos that do justice to the height of the tree but this one, looking down from the top, is probably the best I got.


We had breakfast then went on the boat for the final time.


We got to the landing strip and the plane was on time.

We took off and flew over the forest, back the way we came. We could see the river and road we’d spent two and a half days travelling down. In under an hour we undid all the travelling and arrived back in Cusco.

The plane was unpressurised and although the captain said he might drop the oxygen masks, they never materialised. The air was so thin and I found myself gasping at times. By the time we reached Cusco I’d already got altitude sickness and spent most of the afternoon in bed at my hostel.

I’d had an amazing time in the rainforest. I didn’t want to leave and before I’d left I was already planning to return – I’m going to go back for my 30th birthday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism vs cultural imperialism

The remarkable tree lobster

Gutting the DSA with dodgy statistics